Friday, July 13, 2012

SEVERE SLEEP APNEA? BEST TREATMENT MAY BE AN ORAL APPLIANCE.

Donna:

I have severe sleep apnea I was tested and my breathing is interrupted or slowed 71 times during the sleep study. Will any of these alternatives work for me and do you take health insurance?

Dr Shapira response: Donna, I have good news you are probably an excellent candidate for an oral appliance for treating sleep apnea. A total of 71 awakenings from sleep apnea over the course of a full night sleep would put you in the mild to moderate range of apnea where oral appliances and CPAP are considered a first line treatments of sleep apnea.

Medical insurance will usually cover treatment with an orl appliance subject to deductibles and co-insurance. Most insurance companies understand that untreated sleep apnea is dangerous and treating the effects of untreated sleep apnea is more expensive than treating the sleep apnea.

http://www.ihateheadaches.org/