Monday, December 14, 2009

Allergic reaction to somnodent by somnomed cofirmed by clifford test.

Thank you for your assistance regarding my negative reaction to the SomoDent MAS Acrylic. I followed your advise and had a Clifford Test. Unfortunately, the results indicated the Somnodent is not suitable for me. This makes me very unhappy because I am very satified with the results of the device assisting me in terms of sleep. With the device I am able to sleep well throughout the night. Unfortunately, I get small blisters mostly in my upper lip and inside my cheek area which disappear after a couple of hours but what is worse is that my gum area around my upper teeth becomes inflamed and has increased over time ( I keep the oral device in water during the day to reduce reaction but this has not atopped the reaction). I consulted with Dr. Stuart and the device was sent to the lab to change the metal wiring although I suspected I was also reacting to the acrylic material as well – I am still awating for them to return the device back to me. Since then, I have received the results of the Cliffor test which indicated I am not well suited for this device due to contraindicating reactions which were seen in my blood test. I am wondering if SomnoDent makes similar devices with different materials. I paid close to $3,000.00 out of my own packet and I cannot afford to spend as much again. Please advice. Thank you very much.

The appliance comes with a soft liner and with hard acrlic and stainless clasps and screws, They do make a version with a titanium screw. If this is not acceptable I would check with somnomed to see if they could make the appliance out of a material you are not sensitive to. There are other options available otherwise that you can discuss with Dr -------

Dr Ira Shapira

http://www.ihateheadaches.org/